SCHOOL IS CLOSED TOMORROW UNLESS YOU BELIEVE YOUR CHILD IS ELIGIBLE AS YOU ARE A KEYWORKER OR THEY ARE A VUNERABLE PUPIL. WE WILL COMMUNICATE WITH YOU IN MORE DETAIL TOMMORROW. MANY THANKS.
Hello everyone and welcome to Year 4!
Year 4 - Boreal Owls
Teacher: Miss Lois MacDonald
TA: Mrs Alison Wheeler
Welcome back, Boreals!
I hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas and are well rested because I have a lot planned for us to get stuck into this term.
I am very much looking forward to having you back but also getting back to school in general. I know it will be a little strange returning to school again and some of you may be worried but I want to reassure you that we are doing our very best to keep you safe and well, whilst also engaging you in some exciting learning.
Look forward to seeing you all soon.
Miss MacDonald and Mrs Wheeler
Dear Boreal Owls and Parents,
First of all, I would like to wish you all a very Happy New Year. I hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas and are ready to continue on our learning journey.
Welcome to term 3 (Spring term) of Year 4. I am looking forward to delving into the learning this term with the class and starting our learning journey together.
The topic for this term is The Stone Age. I am very much looking forward to starting this topic, with Boreal Owls. For more information about the topic, how we will be exploring this and what other areas of learning we will be covering this term, please see the topic web, at the top of the page, under Term 3 important information. This term, the children will be having PE with Mr Sykes and having sessions of multisport. The children will be able to gain more skills and understanding, of a range of sports.
- The children need to enter the school through the new green gate in the corner of the car park. Arrival time is from 8:45 am and 9:05 am.
- Collection time for the children with a sibling in school is at 3:15 pm. If your child does not have a sibling in the school or is travelling home via the bus, the collection time is 3:30 pm. We have done this to reduce the number of people present at the collection time.
- PE will take place on a Thursday morning with Mr Sykes. Children will need to come to school in their PE kit on these days for the foreseeable future. If the weather looks like it is going to be wet that day then please send the children with a change of clothes so they don't have to sit in wet clothes all day! Also, as it will still be cold, please make sure the children are sent in with plenty of warm layers.
- Homework will be set and handed out on a Friday and should be completed and returned by Wednesday. When the homework is completed, the children return it to the classroom where they have to tick their name off a checklist, once they have handed it in. On a Wednesday, the children will go through their homework, together as a class, taking part in peer and self-marking.
- The children will be given spellings and a piece of Maths or English each week. In addition to this, the children will be asked to choose a task from the Topic grid to complete each week. By the end of the term, the children should have completed 6 different tasks from the Topic grid.
- In class, we are working hard on our handwriting skills. On occasion, the children may be given a handwriting sheet to complete, as well.
- The children have been given Reading Journals to record their daily reading entries. I am trying to increase the children's involvement in reading, as well as trying to spark a sense of enjoyment when reading. When recording in their reading journals, I would like them to think about what they have read and how it has made them feel. I want them to share their excitement and wonder about the books they are currently reading or have read in the past. The reading journals are for the children and is there to record their thoughts about a book.
- Times Table Rock Stars is a platform that we are using to help the children practice their times' tables. We use this alongside written times table tests and maths lessons based around specific times tables. The times' table rockstars platform enables me to see how frequently the children are practising their times' table but also how quickly they are able to complete the questions. As part of the Year 4 curriculum, the children will take part in an end of year times' table test in June and this test will be computerised. By getting the children to practise on times table rockstars, it will get them used to the computerised format of the times' tables but will also get them used to the speed at which they need to answer the questions.
If you have any questions or wish to discuss anything with me, please let me know.
Miss Lois MacDonald